October 22, 2018

Thetford mother’s fear over asbestos risk

Thetford mother’s fear over asbestos risk

Wednesday, October 2, 2013
7:56 AM

A mother of two has said described her fears for her children’s health after a housing association carried out work to remove asbestos from a burnt-out garage near her home.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Rebecca Capell, of Saxon Close, Thetford, was sat in her garden with her children, four-year-old Haiden and one-year-old Paige, while contractors sent by Flagship Housing worked on garages that back on to her house, without warning to residents.

Ms Capell said she noticed the workmen were wearing face masks as they removed roofing and realised it was partly asbestos.

She said she was worried the dust from the asbestos may have passed into her garden and been breathed in by her children.

“They should have been telling us to keep the windows and doors shut. Luckily I knew the roofs had asbestos in them so I took my children straight inside but it was a sunny day and if we hadn’t known we could have been out there the whole time they were working.

“Asbestos is not nice stuff and they have put mine and my children’s health at risk,” she said.

Ms Capell added that she has since spoken to her doctor who informed her any effects from asbestos would not develop for several years.

The workmen were removing the roofs from garages that had burnt down after a fire on August 31.

The blaze had started just days after residents had warned Flagship – who own the garages – that people had been fly-tipping there and that the area needed to be cleared.

Ms Capell said she has since had Flagship Housing’s health and safety officer visit her house and apologise for not warning residents of the asbestos removal.

However, she said it was not an official apology and she is yet to hear from the housing association otherwise.

A spokeswoman for Flagship said the type of asbestos being removed meant that Ms Capell had no reason to be concerned.

“We take any works containing asbestos very seriously and always use professional contractors who work within strict health and safety guidelines.

“In this case, our contractors were removing low level asbestos containing material, and with no wider risk to the public, it was not necessary to notify all properties within the area.

“If any members of the public have any questions on such works we happily discuss this with them,” she said.



Thetford mother’s fear over asbestos risk

Speak Your Mind


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.