_ap_ufes{"success":true,"siteUrl":"friableasbestos.com","urls":{"Home":"http://friableasbestos.com","Category":"http://friableasbestos.com/category/current-asbestos-news/","Archive":"http://friableasbestos.com/2015/04/","Post":"http://friableasbestos.com/asbestos-firms-ready-to-fight-silvers-slanted-legal-system/","Page":"http://friableasbestos.com/effect-asbestos-mesothelioma/","Nav_menu_item":"http://friableasbestos.com/69/"}}_ap_ufee

August 22, 2018

Asbestos 'needs a ban and a plan' – petition presented

Workers have today presented a petition signed by over a thousand New Zealanders calling on the Government to ban the importation of asbestos and develop a comprehensive plan for the removal of all existing asbestos in New Zealand.

“Asbestos is the biggest workplace killer in New Zealand. It kills at least 170 workers annually: more than twice as many workers as accidental deaths at work. The number of people dying from asbestos related diseases (lung cancer, mesothelioma, and asbestosis) is increasing and the Government projections are that it will peak at 300: higher than the road toll,” said CTU Secretary, Sam Huggard.

“New Zealand is out of step with other developed countries. We are still importing asbestos containing products. Australia prohibited the import of all asbestos containing products in 2003. Similar bans in the United Kingdom date to the late 1990s.”

“The CTU, on behalf of all workers, calls for the Government to implement a total ban on the importation of asbestos containing materials. This action is overdue and well behind the action which other countries have taken.”

“We are very concerned about asbestos exposure in Christchurch. Public health experts continue to raise concerns about what the impact will be for workers will be in the decades to come.”

“New regulations are proposed that will significantly assist in the management of asbestos: These should be given the highest priority.”

“However, much more action is needed. The CTU recommends a twelve-point plan to deal with asbestos.”

“Many hundreds more people will die as a result of exposure in the next 50 years. We should act now to ensure that this is the lowest number possible, and that there are no more unnecessary exposures to asbestos,” said Huggard.

Read article here: 

Asbestos 'needs a ban and a plan' – petition presented

Asbestos anxiety as girl tumbles into Telstra pit

CAUSE FOR CONCERN: Still horrified by the potential discovery of asbestos in a Telstra pit across the road from their house in Sisters Beach are Jarrod Woodland and Melanie Strempel with Angela, 5, and Levi Strempel, 7. Picture: Meg Windram.

CAUSE FOR CONCERN: Still horrified by the potential discovery of asbestos in a Telstra pit across the road from their house in Sisters Beach are Jarrod Woodland and Melanie Strempel with Angela, 5, and Levi Strempel, 7. Picture: Meg Windram.

A SISTERS Beach mother-of-two got the shock of her life after her daughter partially fell into a Telstra services pit last week.

Melanie Strempel’s daughter suffered minor cuts and abrasions, however it was what she found at the bottom of the pit that was the cause for concern.

After running out to see if her daughter was alright, Miss Strempel noticed broken pieces of cement sheeting at the bottom of the pit.

Miss Strempel and her partner believe it’s asbestos.

“We were observing my daughter out the window of our house playing over the road,” Miss Strempel said.

“The pit is on a hump on the grass and a lot of children play in that area, riding their bikes.

“My partner noticed my daughter go over the hump on her bike when the lid flipped up and she fell into it.

“When we went over to see if she was alright in the bottom of the pit we noticed all the broken bits of asbestos, the pit had deteriorated on the inside.”

Miss Strempel lost her grandfather to an asbestos-related disease and the incident during the week brought back memories.

She was straight on the phone to Telstra to report the incident.

“When I spoke to Telstra they said someone would come out to fix the problem.

“Three days later a technician turned up only to put a plastic sheet over it and a yellow cage.”

Telstra were contacted for comment.

The company does have an asbestos procedure listed on its website.

This comes after crews fitting out pits for the National Broadband Network found asbestos.

More information can be found on the website at www.telstra.com.au/aboutus/media/emergencies-incidents/asbestos/.

Original article:

Asbestos anxiety as girl tumbles into Telstra pit

Waste including suspected asbestos dumped in Nelson

Waste including suspected asbestos dumped in Nelson

Waste including suspected asbestos dumped in Nelson

Waste including suspected asbestos dumped in Nelson



First published


A THREE foot high mound of asbestos has been dumped in a Nelson street.

Residents are concerned about the dangerous substance, which a wagon tipped into Bank House Road on Wednesday, especially as there are families living nearby and a nursery.

Residents in Leeds Road say that Bank House Road, at the back of their street, has been plagued with fly tippers for years after the council knocked down the houses there.

Only a couple of houses in Bank House Road remain occupied but the surrounding streets are lived-in and despite numerous complaints to the council, residents say the problem is getting worse.

Six council workers in white protective suits attended the scene on Thursday afternoon and put a cover over the asbestos and brought a huge skip, but as yet, it has not been removed.

One resident in Leeds Road said: “This street has just been left derelict after they pulled the houses down and rubbish is being dumped here all the time. The state of it is awful. There’s grates falling down and holes all over the road. It’s awful.

“But when a wagon showed up and just tipped a load of asbestos in the road, I just couldn’t believe it. It’s getting ridiculous and I’ve complained about it a number of times.”

“It’s a massive pile of asbestos. The winds are blowing and Bradley Nursery is just there to the side of it. Who knows the damage it could cause.”

Pendle Council said that they did not know who was responsible for dumping the asbestos there but that they would return to the street to remove it completely as soon as possible.

Bradley ward councillor, Mohammed Iqbal said: “Dumping asbestos here is just despicable. There’s a lot of children in that area and a nursery school nearby and it could be dangerous.

“There is an issue in that street with fly tipping and an issue with the road itself. I am meeting on site next week with the county council to ensure that something is done about it.

“In the meantime, the council need to get the asbestos removed immediately and find out who was responsible.”

Source: 

Waste including suspected asbestos dumped in Nelson