_ap_ufes{"success":true,"siteUrl":"friableasbestos.com","urls":{"Home":"http://friableasbestos.com","Category":"http://friableasbestos.com/category/current-asbestos-news/","Archive":"http://friableasbestos.com/2015/04/","Post":"http://friableasbestos.com/asbestos-firms-ready-to-fight-silvers-slanted-legal-system/","Page":"http://friableasbestos.com/effect-asbestos-mesothelioma/","Nav_menu_item":"http://friableasbestos.com/69/"}}_ap_ufee

January 16, 2018

Asbestos found at former school site

More: 

Asbestos found at former school site

Cera manager slated for sending 'sexy' asbestos email

Cera manager slated for sending ‘sexy’ asbestos email

Published: 6:49AM Friday June 06, 2014 Source: Fairfax

Asbestos Girl (Source: YouTube)

Asbestos Girl – Source: YouTube

A Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority (Cera) staff member sent contractors a link to a ”very inappropriate” YouTube video, depicting a fictional woman who wants to meet asbestos workers for sex before they die of cancer.

The video clip, titled Asbestos Girl , features a woman talking to an asbestos worker in a bar about how people in his profession are brave ”because you know you’re going to die of mesothelioma”.

Mesothelioma is a rare fatal cancer of the lining of the lungs or abdominal cavity and can be caused by asbestos, a known carcinogen.

The link to the video was sent to about 40 Cera contractors by Cera residential red zone operations manager Tim Pow on Friday.

Pow’s email included the message: ”Now who said Asbestos was not the game to be in.”

The woman in the clip says: ”I’m just asking you to come back to my house, sniff some sealant and remove my asbestos – you know, have sex – before you die of mesothelioma.”

A Christchurch contractor, who did not want to be named, said the video was ”in very poor taste” and the email had caused outrage among its recipients.

New Zealand Demolition and Asbestos Association executive member Helina Stil said the email was ”pretty strange”.

”They think it’s all funny and stuff like that, but actually it’s not. It’s detrimental to what we’re trying to achieve as women, but it’s also detrimental to the industry as a whole.” She told Cera on Monday that the email was ”disap pointing”.

”Tim is a really really nice guy but in this instance, the email was inappropriate.”

Stil was concerned that the email also appeared to make light of the fact asbestos was a highly dangerous substance, particularly following criticism last week about how it had been handled during Canterbury’s earthquake rebuild.

”I think it’s actually very, very poor timing and very, very poor taste.”

Cera chief executive Roger Sutton said the email intended to give people a laugh ”but in reality it was just dumb”.

”The content has caused offence to some, and to anyone that has been offended, I apologise on behalf of Cera.”

Cera was a strong supporter of women working in the rebuild, and about half of its senior leaders were women, along with 64% of its fixed-term and seconded staff, he said.

Cera also treated asbestos management ”very seriously” and had strict requirements in place for contractors dealing with the substance at Crown-owned properties.

Sutton said Cera would be reminding staff of its policies and expectations for the use of work email.

    Copyright © 2014, Television New Zealand Limited. Breaking and Daily News, Sport & Weather | TV ONE, TV2 | Ondemand

    View this article:  

    Cera manager slated for sending 'sexy' asbestos email

    Demolition company fined for dumping asbestos waste

    Demolition company fined for dumping asbestos waste

    Published: 11:45AM Thursday May 15, 2014 Source: ONE News

    • Asbestos waste (Source: Supplied)

      Asbestos waste – Source: Supplied

    A demolition and digger hire company has been fined $67,687 for illegally disposing of asbestos-contaminated demolition waste and clearing native vegetation.

    The charges relate to illegal activities at the defendant’s property, including disposing of demolition waste containing asbestos in April last year, clearing native vegetation in a special ecological area and illegal filling between August 2010 and April last year.

    The prosecution was brought jointly by Tauranga City Council and Bay of Plenty Regional Council and the affected site is now listed with both councils as contaminated.

    In 2013 the two councils both received complaints about demolition material containing asbestos being taken from a church demolition site in Fraser Street to the Grange Road site bordering the reserve. The demolition work was being carried out by C Side Services, a company owned by Stephen Craig Walling.

    Samples dug up at the Grange Road site owned by ‘C’ Side Services tested positive for white, brown and blue asbestos, and Mr Walling was issued an abatement notice to stop work. He said he was putting clean-fill, dirt and concrete onto the property to form a driveway to a house site and to create a grassed garden area with exotic palms. He said he had taken 15 truckloads of demolition waste from the church to the Grange Road site and had also allowed two other contractors to deposit concrete and dirt there.

    A total of 372 square metres of the Special Ecological Area and its five metre buffer zone had been cleared of vegetation and a concluded that material containing asbestos at the site posed an immediate and long-term risk to human health if no management controls were put in place.

    The fines include $22,687 for asbestos disposal, $22,000 for clearing the special ecological area and $23,000 for illegal filling. The defendant is also required to re-vegetate the area and remediate the contaminated land.

      Copyright © 2014, Television New Zealand Limited. Breaking and Daily News, Sport & Weather | TV ONE, TV2 | Ondemand

      Link:

      Demolition company fined for dumping asbestos waste

      Asbestos testing continues at Auckland school

      Asbestos testing continues at Auckland school

      Published: 10:28AM Friday May 09, 2014 Source: Fairfax

      An Auckland primary school shut after asbestos dust was found will undergo further testing.

      Herne Bay’s Bayfield School was closed yesterday for health and safety reasons after discovery of the dust in a construction site.

      Initial testing found no asbestos contamination outside of the work site, the Ministry of Education said.

      “We are reassured by these results. We will be commissioning more tests to make absolutely sure there are no traces of asbestos outside the demolition site in areas children or staff have access to,” head of education infrastructure service Kim Shannon said.

      A secondary investigation into how the demolition site was managed is also underway.

      “Industry best-practice guidelines for safe asbestos removal were built into the tender for the demolition work, which specified the use of a certified asbestos remover,” Shannon said.

      “We understand the frustrations around this situation.

      “Worksafe New Zealand have developed a plan to remove remaining demolition materials from the school and we will be implementing that plan tomorrow.”

      A holiday programme provider is running a class for affected schoolchildren today. A nearby school is also sharing classrooms and a hall with Bayfield School.

      The school will not reopen until the site is given the all clear but classes are expected to resume early next week, Shannon said.

      The Ministry of Health says asbestos dust is a risk to people when inhaled. Fibres can become stuck and leads to “breathing difficulties or even lung cancer”.

      Bayfield is a decile 10 school with about 380 year 1 to year 6 students.

      It is currently having 70% of its buildings rebuilt after the premises were affected by weather-tightness issues.

      Principal Sheryl Fletcher has previously told Fairfax Media Bayfield’s 12-year-old buildings were leaky and cold with damp patches on the walls and ceilings on rainy days.

        Copyright © 2014, Television New Zealand Limited. Breaking and Daily News, Sport & Weather | TV ONE, TV2 | Ondemand

        Continue reading – 

        Asbestos testing continues at Auckland school

        Asbestos found in beach hut roofs

        Source article:  

        Asbestos found in beach hut roofs

        KiwiRail train clearance 'premature' – RMTU

        KiwiRail train clearance ‘premature’ – RMTU

        Published: 7:26AM Tuesday March 18, 2014 Source: ONE News

        • More asbestos found in KiwiRail trains (Source: One News)

          More asbestos found in KiwiRail trains – Source: One News

        The Rail and Maritime Transport Union says plans to return some KiwiRail trains that have tested positive for asbestos to service is premature.

        Forty new DL locomotives were taken out of service after potentially harmful asbestos fibres were found in one of the Chinese-built trains last month.

        However, tests have found the potentially deadly material is only present in five trains and KiwiRail says that due to the low risk of exposure to the toxic fibres, it will bring the trains back into service soon.

        But Rail & Maritime Transport Union General Secretary Wayne Butson says there are still many questions about the asbestos tests that need answering.

        “The first round of test results turned up negative for airborne asbestos fibres or asbestos dust. Now, the second ones are showing presence of asbestos in some locomotives,” says Mr Butson.

        “We need to see a comparison between the first and second round of testing for each locomotive, in order to understand why some have gone from negative to positive.”

        KiwiRail and union officials are meeting in Auckland today and tomorrow to discuss the results of a second round of testing for asbestos fibres

          Copyright © 2014, Television New Zealand Limited. Breaking and Daily News, Sport & Weather | TV ONE, TV2 | Ondemand

          View original post here:  

          KiwiRail train clearance 'premature' – RMTU

          Locomotives return after asbestos scare

          Locomotives return after asbestos scare

          Published: 8:24PM Monday March 17, 2014 Source: ONE News

          • KiwiRail locomotives. (Source: ONE News)

            KiwiRail locomotives. – Source: ONE News

          KiwiRail is reassuring staff that the level of asbestos in its Chinese-built freight trains is minimal.

          Forty new DL locomotives have been tested for asbestos after toxic fibres were found inside one last month.

          The tests have found the potentially deadly material is only present in five trains in its fleet.

          KiwiRail maintains the risk of exposure to any airborne fibres is low so it will bring the trains back into service soon.

          It says it is in the process of removing the packing material where the asbestos was found in all of the locomotives before they are returned to service.

          The scare saw freight movement around the country limited as the locomotives underwent testing.

          Chief executive Peter Reidy says the lack of capacity is still causing supply chain issues for many industries and businesses.

          “The DL locomotives are the workhorse of our fleet and without their pulling power all customers are feeling the lack of capacity,” he said.

            Copyright © 2014, Television New Zealand Limited. Breaking and Daily News, Sport & Weather | TV ONE, TV2 | Ondemand

            Jump to original: 

            Locomotives return after asbestos scare

            Asbestos 'slows down' HQ demolition

            Original source: 

            Asbestos 'slows down' HQ demolition

            Asbestos support group

            Asbestos support group

            Daily Echo: Asbestos support group

            Asbestos support group

            Hampshire Asbestos Support Group (HASG) holds its next meeting on Thursday, February 14, in St Mark’s Church, Archers Road, Southampton. It is open to anyone with asbestos-related illnesses or their families, carers and friends.

            See hasag.co.uk or call 023 8001 0015.

            Related links

            Post a comment

            More – 

            Asbestos support group

            Asbestos school reopens in new year

            Excerpt from:  

            Asbestos school reopens in new year