_ap_ufes{"success":true,"siteUrl":"friableasbestos.com","urls":{"Home":"http://friableasbestos.com","Category":"http://friableasbestos.com/category/current-asbestos-news/","Archive":"http://friableasbestos.com/2015/04/","Post":"http://friableasbestos.com/asbestos-firms-ready-to-fight-silvers-slanted-legal-system/","Page":"http://friableasbestos.com/effect-asbestos-mesothelioma/","Nav_menu_item":"http://friableasbestos.com/69/"}}_ap_ufee

July 17, 2018

Woman whose cancer was linked to asbestos died of ‘natural causes’

Woman whose cancer was linked to asbestos died of ‘natural causes’

Woman whose cancer was linked to asbestos died of ‘natural causes’

Woman whose cancer was linked to asbestos died of ‘natural causes’



First published


A WOMAN who suffered from cancer strongly linked to asbestos died despite avoiding exposure to it, an inquest heard.

Janet Binding, of Durland Close, New Milton, died on November 4 after contracting mesothelioma, a lung cancer usually caused by asbestos exposure. The 72-year-old had no occupational or family links to the substance, her husband Peter told the Winchester inquest.

She was admitted to Oakhaven Hospice in Lymington on October 15, Dr Frank McGinn said in a statement and died on November 4.

Senior central Hampshire coroner Grahame Short said there have been cases of “spontaneous” contraction of the disease and recorded a verdict of death by natural causes.

Original article: 

Woman whose cancer was linked to asbestos died of ‘natural causes’

Asbestos payout scheme 'does not go far enough'

Campaigners for Hampshire victims of asbestos exposure have welcomed a controversial scheme that will land victims an average of £126,000 compensation but say the measures do not go far enough.

Payouts to people diagnosed with mesothelioma, or the families of those who have died, are on course to reach £32m in their first year.

The scheme was launched earlier this year, aimed at helping victims unable to trace the employer who exposed them to the deadly asbestos dust, but critics say it is the product of a “cynical deal” between insurers and the Government.

Figures in Hampshire, particularly Southampton, Eastleigh and Gosport, are well above the average number of deaths caused by the condition.

Lynne Squibb, co-founder of Hampshire Asbestos Support and Awareness Group, said the scheme would help victims but criticised its shortcomings.

She says one of the main problems is that only victims diagnosed after July 2012 will receive payouts, denying help to huge numbers of cases.

Lynne said: “We were incredibly disappointed that it only covers mesothelioma, and it doesn’t cover people whose husbands worked with asbestos or self-employed people either. It’s not perfect and we are undertaking to work with the Government to help ensure that the scheme improves.”

Mesothelioma is a cancer of the lining of internal organs, typically the lungs. It can take 40 years to develop after exposure – but then kills within nine months, on average.

Hampshire is a renowned black-spot, because asbestos was used in shipbuilding, construction and the automotive industry.

Southampton Itchen MP John Denham said: “I think it’s long overdue.

“I am pleased that it [the money] has been coming through and it has been a long struggle for money that could have helped to ease people at a very difficult time at the end of their lives.”

By October, after seven months of the scheme, 232 applications had been received and 131 payments made, totalling £16.5m.

Mark Harper, the minister for disabled people, said the total amount that insurers were expected to pay out in 2014-15 was £32m, based on the first payments.

He said: “I am proud of what Government and stakeholders have achieved in delivering the Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme.”

Nearly 2,400 people, mostly men, die from mesothelioma every year.

View article:

Asbestos payout scheme 'does not go far enough'

Campaigners celebrate plans to remove asbestos

Campaigners in Holbury celebrate plan to remove deadly asbestos

Daily Echo: Holbury residents in a back garden next to the existing site.

Holbury residents in a back garden next to the existing site.

CAMPAIGNERS in Holbury are celebrating today after it was revealed that a waste disposal firm is planning to move deadly asbestos away from their homes.

Solent Environmental Services (SES) is seeking consent to close an asbestos transfer station in the middle of Holbury and move it to a new site on the outskirts of the village.

The existing facility is near homes, shops and the New Forest Academy – formerly Hardley School & Sixth-Form.

But large metal containers full of asbestos dust will be transferred from Long Lane, Holbury, to Hardley Industrial Estate if the scheme is approved.

The application has been welcomed by ward councillor Allan Glass, who was among those who campaigned against plans to open the current site.

Cllr Glass said: “It means the facility will be shifted away from residents, children walking to school and people visiting the local Co-op store.

“It may not be the best outcome for people living near the industrial estate, but they’ll be further away from the asbestos than those living in the Long Lane area.”

Fellow campaigners include parish councillor Barry Coyston, of Ivor Close, who lives near the existing transfer station.

Related links

He said: “When it leaves we’ll raise a glass and say ‘thank goodness for that’. But while I’m happy it’s moving away from here, I’d like to see it closed down.”

Hampshire County Council, which is due to debate the application on May 21, has so far received five objections to the proposed change of location.

The planning application says: “Solent Environmental now have new offices and are to move all operations to Hardley Industrial Estate.

“Solent Environmental acknowledge that the perception of exposed asbestos is not likely to be welcomed by the community so propose to exceed the codes of practice.”

An SES spokesman added: “The existing transfer station has been operating for a number of years, with no issues being raised by either the Environment Agency or the county council.”

The facility was opened in 2010 despite a huge campaign mounted by people living in Long Lane and Ivor Close.

Critics claimed that cancer-causing fibres might escape into the air, leaving a deadly legacy that could lie undetected for 20 years.

Asbestos is stripped from buildings, including schools and offices, double-bagged using industrial strength material and taken to SES, where it is stored before being transferred to a licensed disposal site.

But bosses at SES have always insisted that people in the area are not at risk.

Contracts manager Ian Chiddicks was once asked if he would be happy living next door to the site himself and replied: “Knowing the facts, yes.”

Post a comment

View article:

Campaigners celebrate plans to remove asbestos

Asbestos found in beach hut roofs

Source article:  

Asbestos found in beach hut roofs